Provenance Research

Théodore Rousseau (1812-1867)
Village in Berry, 1842
Oil on panel
13 1/2 x 20 1/2 in. (34.3 x 52.1 cm)
Gift of Emilie L. Heine in memory of Mr. and Mrs. John Hauck, 1940.1203

Signed lower left: "Th. Rousseau"

A group of thatched-roof houses and trees extend from the right to the middle ground of the landscape. A creek flows at left and in the far distance is a church with a steeple.


By 1872:   H. N. Smith, New Jersey
By 1886:   F. W. Weld, Boston, by bequest to
    Mrs. F. W. Weld [later Mrs. H. B. Duryea]
Before 1940:   (Probably John Levy Galleries, New York or Schneider-Gabriel Galleries, New York, probably sold to [1]
By at least 1940-1949:   Emilie L. Heine, Cincinnati, given with life interest to [2]
1949-present:   Cincinnati Art Museum

[1] Albert K. Schneider worked as Emilie L. Heine's dealer for many years. He and Gilbert Gabriel worked with John Levy for approximately twenty-five years before opening their own gallery, Schneider-Gabriel Galleries, in 1938. In 1940 Heine gave a collection of paintings to the CAM with life interest reserved. Schneider-Gabriel Galleries was requested by the CAM to send detailed information on the works that Heine acquired through the Schneider-Gabriel Galleries or John Levy Galleries. The provenance information sent by Schneider-Gabriel Galleries does not offer specific dates of sale, nor does it clarify Heine purchased the paintings from them or from John Levy Galleries. See: Art Digest, October 1, 1938, p. 11; correspondence, May 25, 1940, July 5, 1940, and October 10, 1949, Heine collection file; Schneider-Gabriel Galleries booklet, no.18, Heine collection file.

[2] Emilie L. Heine, a collector with a penchant for the Barbizon school, began collecting art around 1912 and continued until the mid-1940s. The majority of the paintings were acquired for her Cincinnati home during the 1920s and 1930s, but specific dates of purchase for most are unknown. Heine gave this painting and numerous others to the CAM with life interest reserved in 1940. The Heine collection came to the CAM after her death in 1949.

Back to the List of Works