Provenance Research

Sir Lawrence Alma-Tadema (1836-1912)
England
Comparison, 1892
Oil on canvas
18 x 24 in. (45.7 x 61 cm)
Gift of Emilie L. Heine in memory of Mr. and Mrs. John Hauck, 1940.949

Signed upper right: "ALMA TADEMA"; inscribed upper right: "D.CCCXVI-"

Description:
Two women in classical garb are seated on a daybed. The woman to the left has her legs curled up on the daybed and reads a book. Her sandals are on the floor in the foreground. The woman on the right, seated with her torso facing the viewer, looks over her companion's shoulder and reaches her left arm to hold open a book that rests on the marble tabletop to the right. Red flowers are on a ledge at the left. A red curtain hangs in the background.

Provenance:

1892:   (Commissioned by Stephen T. Gooden and Fox, London, sold to)
     
Late 1892-at least 1910:   George W. Palmer, Reading, England
     
Before 1940:   (Probably John Levy Galleries, New York, or Schneider-Gabriel Galleries, New York, probably sold to [1])
     
By at least 1940-1949:   Emilie L. Heine, Cincinnati, given with life interest to [2]
     
1949-present:   Cincinnati Art Museum


Notes:
[1] Albert K. Schneider worked as Emilie L. Heine's dealer for many years. He and Gilbert Gabriel worked with John Levy for approximately twenty-five years before opening their own gallery, Schneider-Gabriel Galleries, in 1938. In 1940 Heine gave a collection of paintings to the CAM with life interest reserved. Schneider-Gabriel Galleries was requested by the CAM to send detailed information on the works that Heine acquired through Schneider-Gabriel Galleries or John Levy Galleries. The provenance information sent by Schneider-Gabriel Galleries does not offer specific dates of sale, nor does it clarify if Heine purchased the paintings from them or from John Levy Galleries. See: Art Digest, October 1, 1938, p. 11; correspondence, May 25, 1940, July 5, 1940, and October 10, 1949, Heine collection file; Schneider-Gabriel Galleries booklet, no. 38, Heine collection file.

[2] Emilie L. Heine, a collector with a penchant for the Barbizon school, began collecting art around 1912 and continued until the mid-1940s. The majority of the paintings were acquired for her Cincinnati home during the 1920s and 1930s, but specific dates of purchase for most are unknown. Heine gave this painting and numerous others to the CAM with life interest reserved in 1940. The Heine collection came to the CAM after her death in 1949.

Back to the List of Works