Provenance Research

Ferdinand Hodler (1853-1918)
Switzerland
The Sacred Hour, ca. 1907-11
72 x 89 in. (182.9 x 226.1 cm)
The Edwin and Virginia Irwin Memorial, Fanny Bryce Lehmer Endowment, Mr. and Mrs. Harry S. Leyman Endowment; and Museum purchase: Gift of Mary Hanna, Mrs. J. Louis Ransohoff, and Mary E. Johnston, by exchange, 1990.1294

Signed lower right: "F. Hodler"

Description:
Two full-length female figures, dressed in ultramarine blue dresses, sit on a grassy bank before a light green background topped by a rounded horizon. The women look away from one another. The underdrawing in charcoal or pencil reveals figures at the right and left sides. Across the right, left, and bottom edge of the canvas are bright red flowers. Each blossom is painted as a circle of color, sometimes filled in with red, sometimes left open in the center.

Alternate Titles:
Die Heilige Stunde
L'heure sacrée
The Holy Hour

Provenance:

Until 1912:   Ferdinand Hodler, sold to
     
1912-March 20, 1937:   Paul Chavan, Geneva, sold at Chavan sale, Galerie Moos, Geneva, March 37, 1937, lot 92
     
    Dr. Silvan Kocher, Solothurn, Switzerland [1]
     
Until 1990:   (Wildenstein & Co., Inc., New York, sold to)
     
1990-present:   Cincinnati Art Museum


Notes:
[1] According to information provided by Wildenstein & Co., Inc., New York.

Back to the List of Works