De Drouillard, Paris, 1867. Mélas, Hôtel Drouot, Paris. (Galerie Georges Petit, Paris). Collection Francis Otto Matthiessen, New York, sold in F. O. Matthiessen sale, American Art Galleries, New York, April 1 and 2, 1902, lot 52, sold to; John D. Crimmins, New York . Possibly Thomas Weitemeyer, New York, by at least September 1935. (Probably John Levy Galleries, New York or Schneider-Gabriel Galleries, New York, before 1940, probably sold to ; Mrs. Emilie L. Heine, Cincinnati, given with life interest to ; Cincinnati Art Museum, 1949-present.  John D. Crimmins is listed as the buyer in the New York Times, "Spirited Bidding for Some of the Paintings of the F. O. Matthiessen Collection," April 2, 1902.  According to the Museum's records the painting was exhibited in 1935 at the Staten Island Institute of Art and Sciences. Correspondence with the Institute indicates that the only exhibition that included Corot paintings was held during September 1935. Although no checklist or catalogue remains, a notation in the Institute's bulletin lists the artists who were represented in the exhibition and also identifies Thomas Weitemeyer as the lender. CAM curatorial file, correspondence, May 16, 2000.  Albert K. Schneider worked as Emile L. Heine's dealer for many years. He and Gilbert Gabriel worked with John Levy for approximately twenty-five years before opening their own gallery, Schneider-Gabriel Galleries, in 1938. In 1940 Heine gave a collection of paintings to the CAM with life interest reserved. Schneider-Gabriel Galleries was requested by the CAM to send detailed information on the works that Heine acquired through Schneider-Gabriel Galleries or John Levy Galleries. The provenance information sent by Schneider-Gabriel Galleries does not offer specific dates of sale, nor does it clarify if Heine purchased the paintings from them or from John Levy Galleries. See: Art Digest, October 1, 1938, p. 11; correspondence, May 25, 1940, July 5, 1940, and October 10, 1949, Heine collection file; Schneider-Gabriel Galleries booklet, no. 40, Heine collection file.  Emilie L. Heine, a collector with a penchant for the Barbizon school, began collecting art around 1912 and continued until the mid-1940s. The majority of the paintings were acquired for her Cincinnati home during the 1920s and 1930s, but specific dates of purchase for most are unknown. Heine gave this painting and numerous others to the CAM with life interest reserved in 1940. The Heine collection came to the CAM after her death in 1949.